Monday, April 25, 2011

Setting up Voipstunt (and similar) on Linux

I've been spending some time trying all the softphone solutions I could find around, in order to use Voipstunt on Ubuntu.

Most of them were either:
- not working, properly or at all
- had a horrible interface

Ekiga is in the first category; I couldn't make more than one phone call per application run.
Linphone is in both categories.
I tried others that I don't remember.

At the end I found two working ones:
- Qutecom
- Twinkle.

Twinkle has a clunky and outdated interface, with at least one serious bug (segfault when trying to delete one contact). It's simple to configure, though.

Qutecom has a modern interface, and it works reasonably well.
I again found a bug, but minor - if I try to close the application without hanging up a call, it hangs.

At the end, I chose Qutecom.

For people using Qutecom and Voipstunt, the only parameter to configure (aside the obvious login/password) is "sip.voipstunt.com" as SIP Domain/Realm.
Voipbuster, from the same phone company, uses most probably "sip.voipbuster.com".

The package is in the main Ubuntu repository, so users can install it using the GUI application or command line.
login:

4 comments:

Eliezer Silva said...

hey man. this was really helpfull. my girlfriend is in Norway and I was just trying this voipstunt stuff (with a lot of skepticism, must I say). I was really surprised how in the end it was really easy.

Jim Corney said...

Glad to help :-)

Unknown said...

Went thru the same issues you did but lived with the shortcomings until I used qutecom. thanks for sharing.

Carlo said...

So good. Thank you. QuteCom is nice.